What is face lifting operation?
Face lifting operation is a surgical operation to eliminate sagging around face and neck skin that occurs due to various reasons. Old age, gravity and environmental factors may cause skin to lose elasticity as well as wrinkles and sagging. All these negative effects as well as fat accumulation around chin and deformed chin line can be solved with face lift. Known as “Rhytidectomy”, this operation is often applied to patients over 40 years old. When this operation is conducted on skins that lost elasticity, success rates are higher. This operation is completed in sterile hospital environment like many other operations.
How is face lift applied?
After applying general anaesthesia, face skin is lifted with surgical cut. Soft tissue that causes sagging are hanged with special sutures and subcutaneous tissue is supported. Excessive skin is removed. If needed, this operation can be combined with neck lifting and eye lid operation. Scar of this operation will be hidden inside hair skin so there will be no problem regarding the scar. Sutures are removed 1 week after the surgery. There may be numbness for couple of weeks. This is perfectly normal and this numbness will decrease over time.
Things to know about face lifting
- Patients should stop smoking and alcohol consumption 10 days before the operation.
- Patients should stop blood thinners like aspirin, herbal teas that have blood thinning effects and vitamin E.
- This operation may take 4-6 hours. If this operation is combined with others, duration can be longer.
- Face is wrapped with a gauze after the operation. (except mouth and nose area)
- Applying ice compress can accelerate recovery and minimise oedema.
- Patients can be discharged on the same day and there is no need for hospitalisation.
- It is normal to experience slight bruises and pain around operation region.
- Patients can go back to normal life in 2 weeks.