What is Liposuction?
Liposuction has been applied since the beginning of 80s and this is the most preferred surgical operation around the world. Purpose of liposuction is not weight loss but shaping the body by removing permanent fat that cannot be reduced with diet.
Liposuction is actually suctioning of fat cells from the body. Most effective solution for permanent fat accumulation that cannot be reduced with diet and exercise is liposuction. On contrary to general belief, this method is not applied in obesity treatment or losing weight.
Liposuction is regional thinning and body shaping operation and this method can be applied almost all areas. According to statistics, women prefer hips, belly, and thigh area while men prefer waist, double chin and belly liposuction. Since skin losses elasticity, this operation is combined with lifting operations in older patients.
Liposuction is not suitable for individuals with diabetes, heart problems, lung problems, pregnant women and nursing mothers.
Things to Know About Liposuction
- Before the operation, problematic areas are marked with pen.
- This operation can be applied to multiple problematic areas. (like thighs, hips, belly)
- In one session, at most 3-4 kg of fat can be collected and this corresponds to at most 5-6 kg.
- General anaesthesia is applied in liposuction. There is no pain during the surgery.
- With special serums, fat in problematic area are ruptured and cleaned.
- For 80% of patients, single session is enough.
- If fat collected from the body is more than 4 kg and the operation will be applied to the same area, patients must wait 40 days.If liposuction will be applied to different region, patients must wait for one week.
Things to Consider After Liposuction
- After the operation, it is normal to experience different levels of oedema and swelling.
- It can take between 3-6 weeks to discard oedema and see the real body shape.
- Patients must use prescribed medication after the operation.
- Patients must consume plenty of fluids to accelerate oedema discarding process.