Rhinoplasty is a surgical operation to eliminate congenital or adventitious nose deformation. Rhinoplasty is one of the most common aesthetic operation in our country and this operation became globally popular by a British doctor after occupation of India. First rhinoplasty in our country was completed in 1970.
Importance of doctor selection in rhinoplasty
Our nose is the most striking organ as it is on the centre of our face. In rhinoplasty, natural and aesthetic look should be well-adjusted and nose should be designed to fit face of the individual. An incorrect rhinoplasty can cause both health and aesthetic problems. Therefore, it is extremely important to select the doctor for rhinoplasty operation.
Before rhinoplasty operation, patient and doctor must plan the operation and expectations of the patient and recommendations of the doctor should meet on the same ground.
Rhinoplasty is an operation applied under general anaesthesia. Patients may use silicone tampon for 1-7 days after the operation. In recovery period, there can be mild pain but this pain will not affect the daily life of the patient. However, there might be mild pain during recovery. This is normal due to operation and the pain will go in a week.
Things to Do Before Rhinoplasty Operation
- 1 week before the surgery, all blood thinner medication should be stopped.
- Alcohol intake should be avoided at least 3 days before the surgery and smoking should be minimised. Patients should stop smoking one day before the surgery.
- Patients must undergo certain tests before the surgery.
Things to Do After Rhinoplasty Operation
- After the operation, ice compress must be applied to under eye and face area to prevent bruises.
- If patients experience pain after the surgery, prescribed pain killer medication must be used.
- After the operation, patients must sleep flat and with high pillows.
- Since possible impact will cause permanent oedema, patients should avoid close contact.
- After the operation, patients should avoid excessive salt consumption and prefer food without salt.
- In addition to consuming plenty of water after the surgery, consuming pineapple to reduce oedema will help smoother recovery period.