Eyelids consist of skin, muscles and fat. The eyes and eyelids, which are the most striking point of aesthetic and beautiful appearance, are also the area where signs of advancing age are most commonly observed.
Depending on the advancing age on the eyelids, which are the key point of the face; wrinkles, sagging, bagging, herniation of the sebaceous glands outward, swelling, etc. may develop conditions that make you look tired and older than you are.
Although eyelid aesthetics, which is the most effective method to eliminate such conditions, can generally be applied depending on the deformations that occur at the age of 30 and later; It can also be applied at an earlier age when the upper eyelid is fleshy and low for structural reasons or when significant bagging is observed in the lower eyelid.
Eyelid Problems and Their Causes
Eyelid problems that cause an old and tired appearance can be listed as loose upper and lower eyelid skin, sagging, bagging, wrinkles, lines, herniation in the lower lids, color changes, sagging of the eye edges downwards and bruises. These problems, which can be triggered by genetic causes and advancing age, fatigue, insomnia, sunlight, alcohol and smoking, can be eliminated with eyelid aesthetics.
Details of eyelid surgeries
Upper eyelid surgeries are performed under local anesthesia and lower eyelid surgeries are performed under general anesthesia. The incisions for the surgery are made in the upper eyelid to match the fold of the eyelid, and in the lower eyelid just below the eyelashes, so that the surgical scars can be easily hidden and prevented from being noticed. While the operation takes approximately 1 hour in the upper eyelid, this time may vary between 2-4 hours in lower eyelid surgeries. In eyelid surgeries, as in all other surgical operations, blood thinners such as aspirin etc. should be discontinued 10 days before surgery.
Things to be considered by the patient after eyelid aesthetics
- Applying an ice pack compress on the eyes for the first 24 hours after the operation will minimize swelling and bruising caused by the operation. In addition, using high pillows while sleeping helps to prevent the risk of bleeding and swelling.
- The wound area should be protected from the sun for the first few months following the operation and the area should not be touched by water for 5 days.
- Patients should not read for the first two days following the operation and should not drive for 5 days.
- Patients who use lenses can start using lenses again 1 week after eyelid aesthetics.
- After 1 week, daily routine can be resumed, but heavy lifting and heavy sports should be avoided for 2 weeks.
- During the first 1-2 weeks after the operation, blurred vision, sensitivity to light or tearing are normal and temporary conditions.
Eyelid aesthetics is an intervention classified as surgical applications. Therefore, it should be performed by a specialist physician. In operations not performed by a specialist doctor;
- Inability to close the eyes,
- Distortion of the eye shape,
- Pulling the lower eyelids downwards,
- Complications can include dry eyes and even blindness.